Why should I specify Scourstop?
NPDES Phase II Minimum Requirement #5 requires post-construction stormwater monitoring and inherent channel protection. Scourstop is a no-maintenance post-construction BMP, and part of a Stormwater Treatment Practice (STP).
Vegetated BMPs better protect the environment, filtering pollutants from runoff, decreasing erosive velocities, and enabling groundwater recharge through infiltration. Bio-technical BMPs in designs are encouraged and applauded by regulators and encouraged by public officials. Soft armor BMPs are often less expensive than hard armor due to transportation and installation costs.
No cost to your municipal clients for a better, permanent BMP. Rock rip rap is only specified because there has not been a good alternative. Developers pay for the least expensive BMP; and cities pay high maintenance costs on it for the next 30 years. Why not specify a more effective, permanent and vegetated BMP for projects - at no extra cost for the city - and save the city thousands of dollars over the years.
Improved curb appeal and ease of maintenance in your designs improve incomestreams and property values. A man-made structure or repair of a construction area in a natural landscape is much more aesthetic and scenic when vegetated to be consistent with the surroundings. Additionally, public and private owners derive significant monetary and aesthetic benefits from a vegetated BMP, thus minimizing potential backlash from them.
Over-excavation for rock rip rap greatly increases site development costs.
- Over-excavation decreases green space available for zoning requirements - thus decreasing income-producing building space for the owners.
- It may also increase the Right-of-Way space required by zoning.
Vegetated channels increase green space and potential building size.
- For a given amount of water, less excavation is required for a vegetated channel
- For the same amount of water, a vegetated channel will require less Right-of-Way (ROW) than rip rap.
- For the same volume of water, a vegetated channel can allow a flatter side-slope face than a rip rap installation
- For a given channel cut, a vegetated channel will allow the same water to run wider and shallower, reducing velocity and shear stress
- Or, the same channel cut will provide a greater flow capacity to carry more water.
Annual savings of thousands of dollars in rock rip rap maintenance costs to your clients. Monthly maintenance costs of trimming, debris pickup and erosion maintenance are widely acknowledged by all levels of management. Cities have stated annual maintenance for rock rip rap repair areas between $7000.00 and $70,000.00.
Scourstop promotes 'green' initiatives and is a partner in the LEEDS conservation program.